Author
Topic: Notes not mapping correctly

mikep

Please see the screen shot. I haven't written since last fall, but I always begin by working in a score from last year. Everything worked then. Nothing has changed with my machine that I'm aware of. Same version of Finale and VDL.

TBoliske

Mike,

Make sure that you have assigned both the Percussion MIDI Maps and the Layout Maps for the non-pitched percussion instruments.

for the keyboard instruments, remember that when setting up the instruments from the Finale instrument lists that any transposing instruments such as xylophone or glock will need to changed when using the VDL instruments which do not need to be transposed.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mikep

That fixed it. I thought that the layout was automatically assigned when the map is chosen/assigned. Is that not the case?

As for glock or xylophone, is it any different than what I do for any other instrument change? I'm not sure I'm following. For example, if I want the glock player to do a gong roll, I usually just do the instrument change utility and assign the BD/Gong combo, same as I would for an aux player. Is there something different I should be doing?

TBoliske

Maps and layouts are automatically assigned only with the default Finale instruments. Because VDL is a third party library it is up to the user to set those. if you are using a TWS template then it should only require you to check and verify that these are correct. Understand that if you change instruments, say from Snareline Manual to Snare Solo Kevlar, you would need to match the maps and layouts. This is also true when changing any non-pitched percussion instrument.

As for transpositions, if you add a new instrument staff (for example when you are creating a score) and use the Add Instrument button in Score Manager, transpositions will need to be adjusted. Once the staff is set up then when using the Instrument Change Utility it is not necessary to change the transposition for the pitched instrument.

Hope this clears things up.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths