Author
Topic: Sibleius/ Kontakt not finding VDL Soundset

millerhjohnjr

I am trying to use VDL 2.5.5 with Sibelius Ultimate and Kontakt 6.2.2 on Windows 10. I have followed the instructions on how to set up VDL with Kontakt and how to set up the VDL templates from you guys.

The problem that I am running into is that Sibelius or VDL is not recognizing the Sound Set "VDL SoundSet 7.0a." I have followed the instructions on putting this XML file in : C:\Users\John Miller Jr\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Sounds. However, when opening up playback options in the Template 7.0a and activating the Kontakt VST, there is no option for the SoundSet 7.0a under Sound Sets. I have also tried to put the XML file in other locations to see if these programs were just looking in the wrong place. However, that doesn't seem to help.

I have also tried to tell Sibelius what folder to look in under "Audio Engine Options..." and adding the folder listed above in the "Folders..." section. Then rescanning and relaunching. Again, that hasn't worked.

Any ideas on what else I could try or what the error might be?

I have attached images of my Kontakt, Sound Folder, and Sibelius Playback Configs. I tried to take a picture of the different sound sets that I could choose from (none of them the Template 7.0a), but for some reason whenever I try to take a screenshot of it, the window closes.

Thanks

Hugh Smith

Hi, welcome to the forum!

In the sound set drop down menu (the one you seem to not be able to take a screenshot of), do you see "Virtual Drumline 2.5" as an option?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

millerhjohnjr

Quote from: Hugh Smith on May 21, 2020, 07:46:14 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum!

In the sound set drop down menu (the one you seem to not be able to take a screenshot of), do you see "Virtual Drumline 2.5" as an option?

Hugh

No. Here is the list in the drop down menu : (none), General MIDI, General MIDI 2, Jeux, Roland JV - 1080 Orch, Roland JV - 1080, Roland SC - 88 Pro, Roland SC - 88, Roland SC - 8820, Synful Orchestra, VSL Ensemble ... Edition Plus, VSL Ensemble Special Edition, Wallander, Yamaha XG.

Thanks, John

Hugh Smith

Hmm... if you don't see "Virtual Drumline 2.5" in the drop down, then you won't see the Template one either. And it means that Sibelius does not see that VDL is installed.

It's been a long time since I've seen this come up, so I can't recall off hand what the best solution is. My first thought is to reinstall one or both of Sibelius and VDL (try VDL first). Again, can't recall.

Which did you install first initially?
Hugh Smith

millerhjohnjr

Quote from: Hugh Smith on June 01, 2020, 01:45:29 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen this come up, so I can't recall off hand what the best solution is. My first thought is to reinstall one or both of Sibelius and VDL (try VDL first). Again, can't recall.

I initially had Sibelius installed, then installed VDL and Kontakt. I have tried reinstalling all of these programs. However, I must admit I don't know if I truly reinstalled them. I'll try again later tonight and try to clear the programs entirely from my computer before reinstalling (I think that was my problem earlier.)

millerhjohnjr

Quote from: Hugh Smith on June 01, 2020, 01:45:29 PM
Hmm... if you don't see "Virtual Drumline 2.5" in the drop down, then you won't see the Template one either. And it means that Sibelius does not see that VDL is installed.

Uninstalled Sibelius using the Sibelius Installer and uninstalled Kontakt and VDL by deleting those files.

I reinstalled Sibelius using the Sibelius Installer and reinstalled VDL and Kontakt (in that order). Finally, I went through the steps of installing the Write Score templates: Putting the templates in scores and moving the VDL_Soundset_7.0a to the C:\Users\John Miller Jr\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius\Sounds folder. Getting there by typing %appdata% into the start bar. Then I launched Sibelius, opened up a template, and went to the configs: It works! The drop down menu contained many more options including VDL_Soundset_7.0a AND Virtual Drumline 2.5. I saved the Soundset and the templates are working.

Thank you for your help! I don't understand what I did wrong in the first place. but I hope that by typing this all out that someone else with the same problem can find the solution. I believe what I did incorrectly the first time with reinstalling was not fully uninstalling Sibelius/ Kontakt/ VDL.

Thanks!
John M

Hugh Smith

Quote from: millerhjohnjr on June 02, 2020, 05:30:15 PM
... I don't understand what I did wrong in the first place. but I hope that by typing this all out that someone else with the same problem can find the solution. I believe what I did incorrectly the first time with reinstalling was not fully uninstalling Sibelius/ Kontakt/ VDL.

I'm not so sure you actually did anything "wrong" at all. Lots of pieces to put together and you never know what can go awry.

Thanks for updating us, someone else may very well find your solution helpful.
Hugh Smith